
Well Gabe, you turned six months old on the 8th! Everybody comments about how fast time goes by and how fast kids grow up, but it is so true. You are such a big boy now. Your dexterity is really improving. You reach and grab very accurately now and are even pretty accurate when you only use one hand. I am still trying to see if you have a dominant hand, but it may be too early to tell.
Just in the last few weeks you have developed so quickly. You now can sit up for several seconds at a time. However, if you turn your head in a different direction, you tend to fall in that direction. You also fall over if you reach too far for something. Just yesterday I noticed you were using your hands to support yourself and you also raised your arms up for balance. You are not an independent sitter yet, but I think we are close. We got a boppy pillow to help you balance and to cushion your fall in case we are not fast enough. I was too slow the other day and let you face plant...sorry about that. You also do crunches to try to get into a full sit-up. You’re very strong and you get upset when you’re not allowed to sit up and look around.
We have gotten you a few more toys to stimulate you and to help with dexterity. You have a Leap Frog musical table that you seem to really enjoy. You furiously punch buttons and pull levers and watch as the lights flash. You also have a new ring stack. You seem to like the ring stack, but I think it frustrates you a little. The first time you played with it I was amazed at how well you were able to remove the rings. Note: You showed no interest in trying to put the rings back on the stack...that is probably a sign of things to come with not picking up your toys! Anyway, ever since that first success you have struggled a bit. You try to get those rings off for a while and then you get kind of fussy. It may be a combination of trying so hard to maintain your sitting position and trying so hard to manipulate those rings. I think your mind works faster than your little body will allow and you get frustrated. It is hard being six months old.
One thing that I have really enjoyed lately is how happy and comfortable you seem to be with us. It has always been obvious that you know we are your parents and your source for food, warmth, and comfort, but now you look for us when we are not there and show a genuine look of happiness when we return. When we hug you you don't really hug us back yet, but you smile really big and snuggle in really close. It is the best. You giggle and play with your daddy and think he is really funny. Sometimes if you and I are sitting together after a feeding and you start to fall asleep you will wake right up and look around if you hear your daddy's voice. You roll over and offer him a big, sleepy smile. Too cute, I really get a kick out of it.
As far as eating goes, your menu has expanded farther. You have had oatmeal, rice cereal, sweet potatoes, peas, carrots, zuchini, peaches, apples, and bananas. Not a huge fan of the zucchini, but I don't blame you...I tasted it and it wasn't that great. However, you love bananas. You are a pretty good eater and have really taken to just about everything. It is funny when you get hungry...you will be perfectly content and then it is code red. Your daddy and I joke that hunger has slapped you in the face.
We laugh all of the time and love hanging out with you. You are such a sweet boy. Sandy, the dog, thinks so too. She tries to lick you all the time and when we are playing with you on the floor she snuggles right up to you. I think you have found a friend. We love you so much, Gabe.



Happy half birthday, Gabe!
ReplyDelete